- The UA Experience
- Unique Features
- Our Community
- School Spirit
- UA Family Commitment
- Extra-Curricular Activities
- Out of School Care
- School Documents & Policies
- Future Families
- News and Events
- Why UA?
- About Us
- Contact Us
The Urban Academy Development Project Moves Ahead!
Urban Academy has secured land to construct a purpose-built school at 100 Braid Street in New Westminster to allow for our planned school expansion. In most recent news, we are pleased to announce that the city has approved the rezoning of the land to allow for the Urban Academy school expansion to go ahead!
We are pleased to be partnering with Wesgroup, a reputable developer who works in New Westminster. The location has amazing potential; close to both Skytrain and green space at Hume Park, the new urban developments in Sapperton and more accessible for so many of our families while still located in New Westminster. A modern, urban, purpose-built school will be a wonderful learning environment for our students. This is an area undergoing significant change and we can be part of defining the character of the new neighbourhood.
New School Design
The building itself will be approximately 60,000 square feet in area in a 4-5 storey building. The size of school is designed for Urban Academy’s full school of approximately 450 students from JK to Grade 12. Having all students in one space will allow for a continuation and enhancement of our mentorship programs and cross-grade learning benefits.
The building as proposed will accommodate the following amenities that will support Urban Academy’s unique approach to education, as well as the expanding business of the school:
• A full size gymnasium for sports, assemblies and other multi-purpose needs,
• Performing arts & music space,
• Common learning spaces for study and group work,
• Designated Junior Kindergarten and Kindergarten spaces, conducive to their specific requirements,
• Fully equipped IT resources with a media learning centre,
• Learning spaces by student age: elementary learning spaces, middle learning spaces, senior learning spaces
• Administrative offices,
• Community kitchen for school events
• Defined entry with drop-off, parking and loading. Access to the majority of drop-off and parking to be accommodated within Urban Academy parcel
• Four outdoor play areas for play and study.
• Flexible learning spaces that can be adjusted and used for more than one purpose which is conducive to inquiry based learning, cross-curricular and cross-grade teaching opportunities.
A presentation of the project was shown at the first Urban Academy Community Meeting in February and outlines the proposed project and includes renderings of the proposed building.